ForumCiv’s development cooperation works through partnerships with civil society organisations. The development cooperation in Somalia focuses on improved livelihoods, awareness on democracy and human rights and gender equality; sexual and gender based violence, female genital mutilation (FGM) and the strengthening of women’s leadership, participation and influence in society.
Somalia Programmes 2012-2020
Since 2012 ForumCiv has, with the support of Sida, run the Somali Diaspora Programme, and since 2016 the Swedish-Somali Business Programme (SSBP). Both of the programmes ended in 2020, read more about the programmes here.
Some key accomplishments in Somalia so far:
- Successful mobilisation and advocacy that lead to passing of the Sexual Offence Bill in Somaliland and Puntland
- Successful mobilisation and advocacy that lead to passing of the Media act for media protection in Puntland
- Support to sheikhs to provide Fatwa which limits practices of Female Gender Mutilation in Somaliland
- 28 community based organisations strengthened in advocacy and lobby capacity
- Assisted 40 diaspora entrepreneurs to establish their businesses in Somalia
- Continuous promotion and improvement of women’s political representation